Thursday, December 31, 2015

Don't Insult the Disabled


So, most of you know that my girlfriend is a quadriplegic. This means she is paralyzed from the chest down and has little mobility of her entire body. Since we met, we have posted several pictures, videos, and posts about our relationship. For the most part, the feedback we've received has been positive. We've been called an inspiration. But today, I received two anonymous questions on Tumblr that I cannot ignore. 

Now, don't get me wrong. I can take insults. I can ignore snarky comments about my weight or my hair. I can pretend I didn't hear someone talk about my accent or my childish temperament. But this I cannot sit back and watch. These insults are not on me. These insults are on my life and my love. They are on a person who has done no wrong, so I hope whoever sent these sees this one day and is ashamed. 

To anonymous. You are insulting someone who's mobility, goals, and dreams were stolen from them at the age of 16. You are insulting someone who spends each day fighting depression because everything she loved about life she can no longer reach. You are insulting someone who lacks the motivation to get out of bed someways. You are insulting someone who doubts her ability to be a wife, a mother, or even a person at all. You are insulting a girl who's only wrong doing was being in the wrong place at the wrong time. 

Let me tell you something, anonymous, the fact that you were so cowardly as to post such insulting garbage on my page makes you the most disrespectful POS ice yet to meet. I wish for one day you could feel what she feels. I wish for one day you could know the pain of feeling nothing. Not the soft skin of a baby or the heat of a lovers touch. I wish for one day you could know what it means to have one person on the planet that loves you without an ounce of selfishness. Perhaps maybe then you'd understand how cruel and vile your heart is. 

So next time you're feeling like insulting someone, maybe don't insult someone who cannot defend herself. Because let me tell you, there's an army ready to do it for her. Can you say the same about yourself? 

XOXO 
Ellie, 


5 comments:

  1. YES! You tell em Ellie. And remember, I'm one of that army, so let me know how to help. You two are amazing and I love you! Mama Odie

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! You tell em Ellie. And remember, I'm one of that army, so let me know how to help. You two are amazing and I love you! Mama Odie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ellie, I am a huge fan of you and Kara. I pray for you both every day and can only imagine what Kara is going through and has gone through. Just taking a moment to let you both know that some random stranger living in Springfield VA, is rooting for you, praying for you, and is hurting with you. Sending all my love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It means a lot to have support from most people around us. I guarantee it was someone we know who mean something else along with it, but who knows? And does it really matter? No one should treat someone in her situation this way. So thank you for your support. It means a lot!

      Delete
  4. It is terrible to insult anyone for any reason. Insulting a handicapped person is worse. The same goes for discrimination.

    ReplyDelete